Tourism in Sitges - Singular Buildings-Old quarter and Sant Sebastià Beach
The itinerary through the old quarter begins at the Plaza del Ayuntamiento (the square in front of the town hall):
Ajuntament de Sitges (Town Hall), 1887-1889. Architect Salvador Vinyals Sabaté. Built on the site of the medieval castle, it is an example of civil architecture inspired by the Catalan Gothic style that flourished between the 13th and 15th century. The central body protrudes from the main building and is taller than the rest of the construction. It features a triple arched portico that recalls medieval market places.
Mercat Vell (Old Market), 1889. Architect Gaietà Buïgas. Plaça Ajuntament, 12. This purpose-built, single nave, market building was constructed in brick and is Modernista in style. The wrought iron awning over the entrance made the (currently named) Mercat Vell the first building in Sitges to incorporate a construction feature in this metal. The old market currently houses the visitor centre of Casa Bacardí.
Casa Miquel Utrillo, 1915. Architect Miquel Utrillo. Plaça Ajuntament, 15. An engineer by profession, Miquel Utrillo was passionate about art and culture. Writer, journalist, painter, art critic, Utrillo was not only highly renowned in Catalan artistic circles but elsewhere too, being awarded Chevalier de Legion d’Honneur et Officier de l’Académie Française and Honorary Member of the National Geography Society. Utrillo designed his own house taking inspiration from traditional Catalan architecture. The decoration around the windows using the sgraffito technique, show a Renaissance influence. The building is currently the Santiago Rusiñol Library.
Take Calle de la Davallada towards the Sant Sebastiá beach and look out for:
Casa O. Paget de Folch i Torres, 1935. Architect Josep Maria Martino Arroyo. Calle Davallada, 13. This private home is built in an Eclectic style. The stone frame of the main entrance and the even more impressive and intricate stone carvings around the central window are some of the many features inspired by different architectural styles that grace the façade. The roof is also worth mentioning.
On the left is Calle D’en Bosc. Number 10 is the Palau del Rei Moro (Palace of the Moor King), which dates back to the 14th century and was subsequently renovated in the 20th century after the Spanish civil war. It features a stone façade and an Arabic tile roof. A large semi-circular stone arch frames the front door. The first floor features two fine examples of double mullioned stone windows that together with the lintels and their pointed three-foiled arches indicate the building is medieval. There are various Gothic elements in the interior of the palace. The property was purchased by the town hall at the beginning of the 21st century. During Christmas, nativity dioramas are on display and during Easter the dioramas represent the Passion of Christ. The building hosts a number of cultural associations.
Back to Calle de la Davallada, the walk continues: